ChatGPT and AI Technology Are Transforming Education
ChatGPT and AI technology are rapidly becoming a part of our everyday lives. They are transforming how we live, work, and learn, and teachers and school counselors must understand the potential consequences for students' mental health. In addition, with the increasing use of AI technology in the classroom, it's essential to consider how these technologies may impact students' well-being and support students as they navigate these changes.
The Risks of AI Technology on Student Mental Health
When you think of AI technology in the classroom, you might think it is something coming in the future. However, AI technology is already present in education. For example, companies such as Content Technologies and Carnegie Learning are already developing an intelligent instruction design that assists in providing learning, testing, feedback, and identifies gaps in knowledge to provide a more individualized learning experience for students. Another example is Microsoft’s translator tool for PowerPoint. This plug-in allows presentations to be translated in real-time, providing assistance to students with visual or hearing impairments as well as ELL (English Language Learners) students.
Consequently, the increasing use of AI technology in the classroom has also led to concerns about decreased face-to-face interaction and social skills. Students who spend excessive time in front of screens may have difficulty developing healthy relationships and engaging in meaningful conversations, which can impact their mental health and overall well-being. This decrease in human connections and interactions may also lead to limited empathy and negatively impact emotional intelligence in day-to-day student interactions, leading to a decline in the student’s emotional development. Another concern is the potential for AI technologies to stereotype or use generalizations about students that negatively impact their self esteem and mental health.
Tips for Teachers and School Counselors to Support Student Mental Health
As educators, it's vital to help students understand the potential risks of AI technology on their mental health and provide support as they navigate these challenges. Here are some tips for teachers and school counselors to help students deal with adverse consequences of AI technology:
- Educate students about the potential impact of AI technology: Teachers and school counselors can provide students with information about the potential impact of AI technology on their mental health, including the unfavorable comparisons to others, and exposure to harmful content.
- Encourage healthy technology use: Teachers and school counselors can help students develop healthy technology habits by encouraging them to take breaks from screens, limit their exposure to social media, and engage in other forms of self-care.
- Foster face-to-face interaction: Encourage students to engage in face-to-face interaction by participating in group activities and projects and by creating opportunities for students to connect in meaningful ways.
- Provide resources for coping with mental health issues: Teachers and school counselors can provide students with help and support for coping with mental health issues, including information about local mental health resources, hotlines, and support groups.
- Promote positive self-image: Teachers and school counselors can help students develop a positive self-image by promoting self-care and positive body image and encouraging students to focus on their strengths and accomplishments.
The Potential of AI Technology to Revolutionize Education
Despite the potential adverse influence on student mental health, AI technology also holds great promise for the future of education. AI technologies have the potential to personalize learning experiences, improve student outcomes, and increase student engagement.
For example, teachers can use AI technology to analyze student data and provide personalized instructional materials and resource recommendations; This can help students learn at their own pace, receive support where they need it, and increase their motivation to learn. AI technology can also automate administrative tasks, freeing up time for teachers to focus on instruction and student support.
Moreover, AI technology can improve student outcomes by providing instant feedback and data-driven insights into their learning progress. This can help students understand their strengths and weaknesses and make informed decisions about their learning path.
At BASE, our Fireword technology helps keep students safe by detecting language that may be harmful, such as bullying, threats, or indications of depression, within their responses. It uses cutting-edge AI-related technology called machine learning to analyze student responses and flag any potentially dangerous language. With this tool, school staff can respond more quickly and effectively to potential dangers, creating a positive and supportive learning environment for students.
One of the great benefits of this technology is its ability to improve over time through a process called active learning. This means that as the system processes student responses, it will continually learn and adapt, becoming even more accurate and effective in detecting potentially dangerous language.
The system is designed to be able to ask for human input and feedback on its results, allowing BASE Education’s engineers to train and refine its algorithms. As a result, the system will continuously improve, allowing the system to stay ahead of new forms of harmful language and keep students even safer.
ChatGPT and AI technology are rapidly changing the education landscape, and teachers and school counselors must understand the potential impacts to provide better student support. While many adverse consequences are associated with AI technologies and students’ mental health, AI technologies also hold great promise for the future of education.
To learn more about BASE Education contact us today.